Just last month, Facebook announced that the platform now has 2 billion monthly active users. That’s a lot of people. In fact, for us marketers that’s a lot of people we can market to.
In case you are wondering, the second largest social platform is YouTube with 1.5 billion logged-in monthly active users, who on average watch more than one hour per day of videos on the platform.
How do you make your business successful with Facebook?
The way to conquer Facebook is through compelling content. It takes time and effort to create good content. First learn about your audience:
- Who are your followers?
- What makes them tick?
- What do they like and dislike?
- How do they consume content?
Once you understand who your audience is, create content that is relevant to them.
the best friendships are organic
Facebook doesn’t make it easy for businesses to even reach their own followers on the platform. Depending on the number of your followers, it is estimated that only 2%-6.5% of your fans see your Facebook posts.
How do you make sure your followers see your posts?
For organic reach, you need to give Facebook what Facebook wants.
Facebook favors friends & family over business pages. Your best shot at growing organic reach above the 2%-6.5% is by creating shareable content. When your fans share your content with their friends and families, your reach extends.
- native media uploads – this means, for example, Facebook prefers a video directly uploaded on Facebook to posting a link to a YouTube video
- long-form video
- live video – right now Facebook really likes Facebook Live
- highly shared content
- reactions rather than likes
What you should avoid:
- external URLs – this one is tricky: Facebook wants everyone to stay on their platform, but you want them to come to your website. My recommendation is to make all external URLs relevant to your followers.
- hashtags – leave those for Instagram and Twitter
One last important thing: Content
I’ll talk more about content in an upcoming post, but for now just know: when you start creating your content strategy and roadmap, lead with your audience first.
create content with the audience in mind
Create relevant content that amplifies your brand and is relevant to your followers. Understand what your fans engage with the most: is it video, is it learning content, is it inspirational content? Find out from your fans and stick to the following formula:
Great content = often simple + always shareable + to the point.
Read more on How to Create a Winning Instagram Profile